Social commerce: The future of shopping
Social commerce is the use of social media platforms to sell products and services. It is a rapidly growing trend, as more and more consumers are using social media to shop.
There are a number of benefits to social commerce for both businesses and consumers. For businesses, social commerce can help to increase brand awareness, drive traffic to their website, and generate sales. For consumers, social commerce offers a convenient and personalized shopping experience.
Here are some of the latest facts and examples of social commerce in action:
- Global social commerce sales are expected to reach US$2.9 trillion in 2023.
- Fashion brands, cosmetics brands, food and beverage brands, and travel brands are all using social commerce to reach and engage with customers.
- Some specific examples of social commerce include:
- H&M using Instagram to showcase its latest fashion trends and drive traffic to its online store.
- Sephora using YouTube to post tutorials on how to apply makeup and promote new product launches.
- Starbucks using Instagram to post photos and videos of its coffee drinks, as well as behind-the-scenes content from its coffee shops.
- Airbnb using Instagram to post photos and videos of beautiful places to stay around the world, as well as travel tips and inspiration.
Social commerce is still a relatively new industry, but it is growing rapidly and is expected to play a major role in the future of shopping. Businesses that invest in social commerce will be well-positioned to reach and engage with customers in the years to come.
How to get started with social commerce
If you are a business owner who is interested in getting started with social commerce, here are a few tips:
- Choose the right social media platforms. Not all social media platforms are created equal when it comes to social commerce. Some platforms, such as Instagram and Pinterest, are more visual and better suited for selling products. Others, such as Facebook and Twitter, are more text-based and better suited for promoting content and building relationships with customers.
- Create engaging content. Your social media content should be informative, entertaining, and visually appealing. It should also be relevant to your target audience and aligned with your social commerce goals.
- Promote your social media storefronts and social advertising campaigns. Make sure to let your followers know that you have a social media storefront and that you run social advertising campaigns. You can do this by promoting them in your social media bios, posts, and stories.
- Partner with influencers. Partnering with influencers can be a great way to reach a new audience and promote your products and services. When choosing influencers to partner with, be sure to select ones who have a following that is relevant to your target audience.
- Track your results. It is important to track your social commerce results so that you can see what is working and what is not. You can track metrics such as website traffic, social media engagement, and sales.
By following these tips, you can get started with social commerce and start reaching and engaging with more customers.